TESOL Course Entry Requirements
- Minimum age: 21
- Student at university/college or university/college degree
- Candidates must have an awareness of spoken language and competence in English, both written and spoken, which enables them to follow the course.
- No previous teaching experience is required.
- English Language Proficiency test and scores:
Please be advised that from October 1st, 2015 onwards TESL Canada will accept only IELTS Academic and TOEFL iBT as English Language Proficiency Tests. Below are the revised scores:
|English Language Proficiency Tests||Score – Program Trainees|
|IELTS Academic||Overall 7 with a minimum of 7 in each skill area|
|TOEFL iBT||Overall 101with a minimum of 23 in Listening, 24 in Reading, 27 in Speaking and 27 in Writing|
TESL Canada Accreditation Requirements
(1) Students without a university degree are still accepted to the course but they are informed that TESL Canada Professional Certification Level 1 requires an undergraduate degree or completion of the program at a Provisional Normal School. Students without this qualification will not be eligible for TESL Canada Certification.
(2) Non-native speakers of English must also take a placement test before being accepted to the course: It consists of an interview with the Director of Studies to assess the candidates’ speaking skills, essay writing, grammar, reading and listening comprehension assessment.